Wednesday, April 15, 2009

More for the Babies

Since I am going to be a first time Grandmother in June, thanks to my youngest son and his lovely wife, I have to get in practice for spoiling the newest little member of our family that is on her way.

My daughter-in-law comes from a very large family, and I was worried that I would give her something that she might already get from her family so to make sure, I decided to craft the gift myself and make something beautiful, original and unique, but also practical and useful.

Traditionally, handmade quilts are gifts that are given to married couples and new babies because they embody a part of your spirit and love in the gift. Nothing is as meaningful as something you or someone else has created with their own hands. At least that is what I have always felt. I have a hard time throwing something out that was made by my Grandmother or Mother because I know how much love and time was put into it, which makes it so special. Also, a quilt is something every child can use, and sometimes becomes their best friend. I guess that is why they are also called "comforters". My son carried his first little quilt around until it was nothing but a piece of fabric about one foot square. It was his "comfort blanket" or "bankie" but I'll never tell anyone that now.

So, my first effort was to create a crib quilt out of 100% cotton squares, not a difficult quilt that takes five years to make like my last attempt at a quilt, but one you can sew up in a week (if you work at it) and not feel bad if the baby up-chucks on it. It is lightweight and totally washable, can be put on the floor to lay the baby on or taken to the beach, or put it inside the playpen or just use in the crib as it is intended.

One can never have too many quilts so I created this one in colorful shades of pastel hues of sage green, butter yellow, sherbet pink, luscious lavender and sky blue turquoise accented with a darker pink border. The backing is white soft popcorn fleece with a very feminine look and feel. The inner lining is a soft poly quilt lining which gives the quilt some stability but not extra bulky. I also made a matching pillow to place in the crib. The ultra soft pillow is filled with 100% deluxe down & feathers and can also be used by Mom to support baby as she is nursing. The pillow includes a removable cover that is totally washable. Quilt dimensions: 66" x 42". Pillow measures 12" x 18". Complete Set: $150.00. Customer can choose colors of your own preference for boys or girls.

Another quilt that I have added to "Sew Artsy Baby" is the "Little Hound Dogs" quilt. This quilt is smaller with dimensions of 30"x 40" and lined in fleece. A great quilt to carry in the car on day trips. Fully washable and patterned with 100% cotton print material.

You can request this quilt to be special ordered with Cats or Dogs fabric or your favorite theme.
Advance payment is required. Please allow one week to ten days for completion. $55.00.


Other handmade items that I have created include two hooded bath blankets in large size [34" x 44"] and fully lined with 100% soft flannel and cotton terrycloth. The hooded part is lined with pink fleece and is reversible. These are more generous in size than most baby towels so they can be used until the baby becomes a toddler. Also available in boys colors. The hooded bath blankets are $40.00 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment