Thursday, April 9, 2009

It all Started with a Bib


Making a baby bib should not be that hard, right? My friend tells me she has been making these darn bibs for 12 years and is tired of it already. So she gives me a pattern and instructions on how to make this little bib and swears I can sell them and start up a little home sewing business. Just like that...

Well that's how it started with a Bib. I had no one to give my first few failures to so I had to take a lot of bibs apart before I perfected the technique -- under my friend's watchful eye.

These colorful and very sweet little bibs are made from, believe it or not, re-purposed blue-jeans! It is a ton of work, and before they are finished the fabric is washed at least six times, but the results are really nice. First, finding discarded jeans in good shape, no burns, holes or ghastly stains on them, then cutting them up into small pieces so you can position the pattern on the seam. The pockets are made from various sources on the jeans, then they are sewn and decorated with all sorts of trim to give them personality with pizzaz. These two are for a little girl and I made a hat to match. Here is a close up of another girls hat. The hats are fully lined with fabric to compliment.



Then I have the little Buckaroo style bibs for Boys which are more cowboy or sportsy in nature but none-the-less very cute.

The fabrics I use for the back and front of the bib is 100% cotton quilting fabric and they are closed with a velcro tab on the top. These are sized for a small child, sizes 1 mo. to 1 year and can be custom made with any fabric of your choice. Shown here is a small sampling of what I have in stock at present.

If you, or anyone you know is interested in ordering one or more of these darling bibs, a hat or a bib/hat combo please contact me for pricing and payment options. I also sell wholesale.

I will be posting more bibs in different colors and patterns, as well as several more of the Sew Artsy Baby products on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment