Thursday, July 9, 2009

Keeping Busy!


I Love creating new things. Aside from working on aprons day in and day out, and creating new aprons from fabrics that I haven't used before, my creativity is always kicked up a few notches by new projects, such as these cute shopping bags that I made for my daughter as a belated Christmas gift. We shopped together to find this fabric for some shopping bags she asked me to make for a friend of theirs, at Christmas last year, and since there was so much fabric left over I told her I would make them a set too.


Well, so much for promises.
I tend to get busy with things that need to be done "right away" and the other projects get stuck on the back burner.

So this time when she was visiting in June, I promised I would make them right away. A month late but at last I finished them this week. These are good sized shopping bags with a square bottom, and are fully lined with brown cotton/polyester fabric. I have included a pocket on the outside so you can stick small items in that and a pocket on the inside for sunglasses, business cards, etc.

Depending on how you use these, you could put the straps over your shoulder and carry the bag with you on shopping trips or to the beach for a beach tote. They are fully washable in cold water and line dryable. Size is approximately 14" tall, and 16" wide with a 7" width. I have reinforced the bottom with plastic mesh fabric for stability.


The next project I completed was these cute little wine totes. Made from pressed acrylic felt (two layers bonded together for
durability and strength) these are perfect for a gift or for taking a bottle of wine along to a picnic. The base of the tote holds one bottle securely between two double layers of felt, a strap is fastened to the sides and bottom and forms a handle on the top of the tote which can be opened with velcro The felt also provides a bit of insulation to keep the wine cold and protects the bottle from breakage.

Here's another with a more wine
appropriate color. The fabric on the handle has the names of different wines written on it. I have also included a pocket to hold a wine opener. Essential on a picnic.


Last but not least is my garden project which is finally in bloom. I attempted to plant three tomatoe plants, some basil and parsley in my garden but alas, the gophers developed a taste for my heirloom tomatoes and within two weeks all three plants disappeared.

So not to be deterred, I decided to try planting my tomatoes in containers and placed them on my patio. This time, many weeks later, they are successfully growing and happily producing tomatoes. Here are photos to prove it! Including some peppers and yellow and green beans? I'm so happy. Never thought I'd be happy to plant vegetbles in pots, but its much easier to manage than an actual a"garden"....so much fun.
I can't wait until they ripen~!


Happy Peppers and Green Tomatoes....

Fried Green Tomatoes anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment